Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Chan and Dorian Swim the Ironman Course

In this inFlux Bonus Content, six-time CrossFit Games competitor Matt Chan decides to do the 2.4-mile open-water Ironman course on his rest day in Kailua-Kona on the island of Hawaii. Keeping him company are professional big-wave surfer Shane Dorian and CrossFit Kona member Alika Ho’omana.

Dorian says he was intimidated by the idea of a long swim with Chan, who played water polo in college.

“(Chan’s) training volume is pretty up there, and here he’s at my house, hanging out and wanting to train all day long,” he laughs. “I’m not training for the CrossFit Games, so I gotta kinda take it easy. … I hadn’t swam in years, actually.”

Dorian adds: “It was nice to be challenged like that.”

For Chan, it was a chance to experience something new and expand his training.

“It was incredible. I’ve never swam in open water that is that blue,” Chan says. “I mean with goggles on, it’s like you’re snorkeling. … And every time I put my face back in the water, I’d just get lost in what was on the sea bottom.”

After successfully completing 2.4 miles, the three share high fives and chest bumps.

“I love stuff like that,” Ho’omana says, “just getting out of the box and doing more real, like, everyday stuff.”

Video by Jason Smith.

4min 9sec

Additional reading: “Torpedo School” by Adam Palmer, published Jan. 14, 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment