Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Practice Makes Progress

After a divorce, Thomas Tompkins found himself overweight and unhealthy in Troy, Ohio. He was on various medications for high cholesterol and anxiety, among other things.

“There were some hard times,” he says. “Probably the lowest I’ve been, and it took a while to, you know, just to crawl out of it.”

Tompkins adds: “I’ve come to realize I think if you want to have a good relationship, you have to like yourself and put time into yourself.”

After being welcomed into Practice CrossFit, Tompkins immersed himself in the community.

“He’d already done his homework. He’d already done research,” says Josh Bunch, owner of Practice CrossFit. “He puts you on the line to test you. He wants to know what you know about what you think you’re going to tell him. And I really dig that.”

After starting CrossFit, Tompkins lost 50 lb., competed in a men’s physique competition and hiked some of his favorite trails all over the U.S. He currently plans to complete California’s John Muir Trail, a 200-mile trek with 50,000 feet of elevation change.

“I’m in a better place (with) how I feel, especially about myself,” Tompkins says.

Video by Mike Koslap

5min 42sec

Additional reading: “Yes, You Can” by Hilary Achauer, published March 8, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment